A Gold Medal stamp for each ParalympicsGB individual or team win
- Following the great success of TeamGB at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Royal Mail has announced it will produce a stamp for each individual or team ParalympicsGB gold medal win
- This will be the first time ever any host country has issued Gold Medal stamps for their Paralympic winners since the movement was founded in 1948 at Stoke Mandeville Hospital by Dr Ludwig Guttmann
- The stamps will be on sale at 518 dedicated Post Offices across the UK within five working days of each gold medal win and thereafter at a further 5,000 branches
- The Gold Medal stamps will be presented for purchase as a sheet of two First Class stamps for £1.20. The sheet carries additional information on the winning athlete or athletes. The stamps can also be bought individually at Post Offices.
- Royal Mail will also turn one of it historic post boxes gold in the hometown of every ParalympicsGB gold medallist just as it did for TeamGB winners during the Olympic Games
- The main image of the stamp will, wherever possible, be a photograph of the ParalympicsGB athlete or team from their gold medal winning journey or following their win
- Royal Mail has a proud history of commemorating the London Olympic Games, having issued 29 gold medal stamps for the London 2012 Olympic Games, as well as four stamps for the 1948 Games bearing the five Olympic Rings.
Royal Mail update 17 August 2012 1610
As advised the logistics of this makes it impossible replicate next morning stamps for so many winners, so instead we will have several issue dates throughout the games and issue the minisheets for all Gold Medal Winners up to that point. Precise details will be confirmed next week. Details will also be shared on early visuals, postmarking, etc.
In the meantime I can confirm the minisheet size will be exactly half the length of the Olympic Gold Medal sheets i.e. 74mm (h) x 96mm (w) and will feature 2 x 1st class stamps with the margin to the left of the stamps listing the detail of the athlete’s achievement.