ROYAL MAIL NAMES TEAM THAT MADE LONDON 2012 GOLD MEDAL STAMP PROGRAMME A SUCCESS
"The base sheets had been pre-printed by Walsall Security Printers* and all printing facilities were managed by St Ives Management Services. The six printers utilised included:
- Aquatint bsc, Wimbledon, London
- Acorn Press, Swindon, Wiltshire
- Breckland Print (Colchester Print Group), Attleborough, Norfolk
- Crescent Press, Solihull, West Midlands
- Allander Print, Edinburgh
- B and D Print Services Limited, Leyland, Lancashire**
"Following their production, a fleet of almost one hundred Royal Mail Sameday vehicles were ready and waiting to deliver them to the thousands of staff at more than 500 Post Offices, along with additional assistance from A to Z Couriers. The Post offices also opened on Sundays to sell stamps from Saturday’s medal wins.
"A memorable aspect of the Gold Medal Stamps programme was the presentation of special enlargements of the stamps to the respective gold medal winning athletes. This was made possible by a team of staff working around the clock at Indusfoto, London, Loxley Colour in Glasgow and Freshwater UK in Cardiff."
* As previously stated litho printing for Walsall is undertaken by their French subsdiary, Cartor.
** Identified on the stamp sheets as 'Preston'.